150 students from a government school in South Delhi were recently hospitalized due to gas leak from a container nearby. All the students have been evacuated quickly.
The leak was reported from a container depot next to Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya. The school is located near Railway colony. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) officials reached the location and initiated primary steps to control the leak.
Delhi Fire Services were informed about the gas leak at around 7.30 am. The source of the leak is still unclear. Seven teams have been assigned to stay alert in the hazardous area.
The gas leaked is Chloromethyl Pyridine, a chemical used in manufacturing pesticides.
“Some students complained of irritation in the eyes and throat due to the gas leak,” Vice Principal of the school said.
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia who visited the hospital said, “I have asked the District Magistrate to investigate the issue. Doctors have also said that there is no problem.”