The CGI in Dubai reiterated to UAE residents that most NRIs, PIO’s and OCI card holders may not be eligible for Aadhaar enrolment, as per the Aadhaar Act, 2016. Unique Identification Authority of India is mandated to issue an easily verifiable 12-digit random number as Unique Identity – Aadhaar to all Residents of India.
The circular issued by the CGI yesterday (November 27) said, “if an Aadhaar number is not assigned to an individual, the individual shall be offered alternate and viable means of identification for delivery of subsidy, benefits or service.”
As per the Aadhaar Act, 2016, only a resident who has resided in India for a period or periods amounting in all to 182 or more in the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application for enrolment is eligible for Aadhaar.
NRIs are fully exempted to produce the Aadhaar for availing services such as the purchase of a SIM card, opening a bank account, and applying for registration of property, and several other services provided by the Govt. of India. The Aadhaar is not required for issuing a new driver license as well.
According to the UIDAI circular issued on November 15, these are the list of services directly or indirectly connected with NRIs
1. Linking PAN and bank accounts with Aadhaar
2. Linking service pension with Aadhaar
3. Aadhaar-based e-KYC
4. Applying for new mobile phone connections in India
5. Maintaining the existing NRE and NRO bank accounts in India
6. Registering with Jeevan Pramaan/ Digital Life Certificate for pension
7. Registering with Kendriya Sainik Board Secretariat (for retired Defence personnel)
8. Maintaining ex-servicemen contributory health scheme (ECHS)
9. Various scholarships introduced for children of ex-servicemen
10. Applying for Defence Canteen Smart Card
11. Applying for LPG connection
12. Registering with e-district service for obtaining various services from e-governments
13. Issuance of fresh or renewal of driving license
14. Appearing by students in different entrance examinations in India
15. Issuance of certificates by Universities/ Boards to students under different public examinations
16. Applying for registration of property, etc.