‘Dangerous ‘ Primark Christmas candle

Jenny Ferneyhough posted a before and after picture on her Facebook page, showing the Primark candle when she first lit it, and another of the candle that had burned halfway down. With fire across the entire top surface of the pillar, the flames appear to have grown to a height to such an extent they dwarf the remaining half of the candle.

Warning others of the danger, Ms. Ferneyhough wrote” “This is a candle I bought in Primark Manchester for £5 on Saturday. I am concerned that it poses a risk to the safety of anyone who owns one, and I have emailed Primark suggesting they recall them.

“In the meantime, I would be grateful if we could spread the word so that no one is put at risk by this. #primark”.

Her snaps of the white and silver Xmas candle bursting into flames soon went viral, with her post shared over 250,000 times.

Ms. Ferneyhough said that while the candle burned normally for a couple of hours, it then started to burn right across the top.

She said: “We were monitoring it but it got to the point where it was dangerous and we thought we should post a picture of it because we thought ‘this is serious now’.

“We just thought people should know that if you left it could be dangerous, especially if it’s around other Christmas decorations or cards.”

Primark has since removed the product from sale and say they are investigating the matter.

A spokesman for the discount chain said: “We take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously.

“We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency.”

On the Primark website, in a customer service section entitled “Candle Care”, Primark have posted an image of the information stickers they say should be on the bottom of each candle.


Post Your Comments

Back to top button