India celebrates Republic Day on 26th January 2016 every year commemorating the day India became Republic and got a constitution of its own. Today we will go through some of the facts related to Republic Day of India.
1. January 26, 1930, was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Day. It’s the day India decided to fight for complete freedom.
2. Once Independence day began to be celebrated on August 15 in 1947, our leaders wanted January 26 to be remembered in history as well. Therefore, the day was made to coincide with the day of Swaraj.
3. The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.
4. Republic Day Celebrations are a 3-day long affair.
The celebrations end on January 29 with the Beating Retreat ceremony.
5. The first R-Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
6. A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite songs.
7. India’s Constitution is the longest in the world. It has a total of 448 articles.
It is written in English and Hindi.
8. Drafting the Constitution was a herculean task. Dr B.R. Ambedkar took 2 years and 11 months to draft the Indian Constitution.
9. Our leaders took the best aspects from other countries’ constitutions. The concept of liberty, equality and fraternity came from the French constitution while the Five-Year Plans came from the USSR constitution.
10. Before the Constitution came into force, India followed British Government’s Government of India Act 1935.