A rich and delicious flavour filled South Indian breakfast recipe- Chettinad Style Tomato Vermicelli Upma.
Chettinad Style Tomato Vermicelli Upma
Prep in: 5 minutes
Cooks in: 20 minutes
Total in: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 cup Semiya (Vermicelli) , roasted
- 1 Pearl onions (Sambar Onions) , finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina) , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf) , coarsely pounded
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns , coarsely pounded
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Cooking oil , as required
- Salt, to taste
How to make
- To begin making the Chettinad Style Tomato Vermicelli Recipe, roast the vermicelli in a teaspoon of oil on medium heat until it turns golden brown and keep aside. If your vermicelli is already roasted, the you can skip this step.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same pan, add the mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, curry leaves and let it splutter.
- Stir in the onions, ginger and garlic and saute until the onions have softened. Once the onions soften, add the tomatoes and saute for a few seconds. y
- Add the roughly pounded the fennel seeds, black pepper corns, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook until it all combined together. Stir in the mint leaves, semiya, salt and 2 cups of water.
- Cover the pan and allow the Chettinad Style Tomato Vermicelli to cook on low to medium heat until all the water is absorbed and the semiya upma is cooked.
- Once done, turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and gently mix everything together.
- Serve the Chettinad Style Tomato Vermicelli along with chutney of your choice and sliced bananas. End the south Indian breakfast along with a hot cup of your preferred morning beverage