Want a light and easy breakfast? Then try out this tiffin recipe.
It is such a simple dish that takes just 10 minutes to make. It is perfect for an evening snack with a cup of tea or for as a light tiffin. It is also very healthy and easy to digest.
- Aval (Flattened Rice/ Poha) – 1 cup (You can make with white or red aval)
- Onion – 1 (small – chopped)
- Ginger – a tiny piece (about 1/2″ piece finely chopped or grated)
- Green Chili – 1 (sliced)
- Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Lemon Juice – few drops (about 1/2 tsp)
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch (optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts (or Channa dal) – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – 5-6
- Dry Red Chili – 1
READ ALSO: Simple and easy Bread Upma for breakfast
- Take the aval in a big colander or a sieve and wash it under running water.
- Let it soak in that moisture for about 5-10 minutes while you get the other things ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and peanuts. Roast it on low flame till the peanuts are roasted and mustard seeds finish popping.
- Add the asafoetida, dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chili and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked aval and mix. Sprinkle few drops of water if needed. Cover with a lid, reduce the flame and cook for 5-7 minutes. (Note : If you are using the thinner variety of aval, just cook for couple of minutes.)
- Add the lemon juice, grated coconut and coriander leaves. Mix and switch off.
- You can add vegetables like grated coconut, green peas, potatoes immediately after tempering, cook it and then add the soaked aval.
- Serve this aval upma with some spicy curry or with banana or with a cup of tea.