This is a traditional breakfast of Andhra Pradesh, and is fulfilling. Try it out.
Tomato Rava Upma
This can be served and lunch or dinner.
Prep in: 10 M
Cooks in: 30 M
Total in: 40 M
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 cup sooji (Semolina/ Rava)
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili, cut into half
- 6 to 7 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- salt, as required
- hot water, as required
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 sprig coriander (dhania) leaves, finely chopped
READ ALSO: Kerala style soft & crispy Banana Appam
How to make
- To begin making the Tomato Upma recipe, firstly, roast the sooji in a cast iron pan and roast it till it slightly changes its colour. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds, hing, red dry chili and curry leaves. Cook it for about 30 seconds.
- Next, add the onions and green chilies and cook till the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Next, add the tomatoes and let it cook till the tomatoes become mushy and soft.
- Add the spice powders including red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice and cook it for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next, add the sooji and the required water. Stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes. Once it is cooked properly, switch the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Tomato Rava Upma along with chutney of your choice.