This is a delicious traditional breakfast of Karnataka. Try it out.
Karnataka Style Avarekalu Akki Rotti
Karnataka Style Avarekaalu Rotti Recipe is a regional recipe from the region Bengaluru, where they celebrated “Avarekaalu Mela” during the month of January. The mela consists of series of stalls selling out dishes that are made from these field beans or avarekalu beans.
Prep in: 15 minutes
Cooks in: 30 minutes
Total in: 45 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 2 cups Rice flour
- 1 cup Avarekalu / Lilva Beans
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon Fresh coconut , shredded
- 3 Green Chillies , chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) powder
- 1 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt, to taste
- Water, to knead dough
How to make
We begin making the Karnataka Style Avarekaalu Rotti Recipe by adding all the ingredients in a bowl. Add about half cup of Luke warm water and knead it into a soft dough. It will be little sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into small equal balls. Heat a nonstick tawa, and grease it with oil and keep it ready.
- You can either do it on the tawa directly or take a plastic paper and add some oil and start pressing it on the paper. Flatten it evenly into a round shape.
- Then carefully take out the flattened rotti and add it on the tawa. Drizzle some oil and cook on either side till it is golden brown. Repeat the process for other dough.
- Serve the Avarekaalu Rotti along with tomato chutney or coconut chutney to relish your breakfast.