The Puffed Rice Upma makes a quick and easy breakfast for those busy weekday morning. Puffed rice is a type of grain made from rice, commonly used as a breakfast cereal or snack foods, and served as a popular street food in India in the form of Bhel Puri.
Puffed Rice Upma
Prep in: 10 minutes
Cooks in: 20 minutes
Total in: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 6 cups Puffed rice
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 10 Curry leaves, roughly torn
- 1 Ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup Raw Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar), steamed
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 Tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves, finely chopped
- Salt, as needed
How to make
- To begin making Puffed Rice Upma Recipe (Murmura Upma), place the puffed rice in a strainer and wash it under running water for 30 seconds and set aside on a bowl for all the excess water to drain out.
- Alternatively, if you like the upma crunchy you can directly add the puffed rice without washing it.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan or kadai with a tablespoon of oil on medium flame.
- Once the oil heats up, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add cumin seeds and peanuts and roast on medium heat until the raw peanuts get a roasted aroma and are crisp.
- Once the peanuts are roasted, add the ginger, onions, green chillies and curry leaves with a little salt and sauté until transparent. Add peas, turmeric powder, tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are tender and soft.
- Stir in the Murmura (Puffed Rice), coriander leaves, lemon juice and stir everything together. Check the salt and spice, adjust to suit your taste and serve.
- Serve the Puffed Rice Upma for a quick and easy weekday breakfast or even as a tea time snack when you have some guests over