Uttapam is a traditional Kerala breakfast food that most love.
For Uthappam Batter:
Raw rice: 2 cups
Urad dal: 3/4 cup
Cooked Rice: Handful
Fenugreek: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For Vegetable Uthappam:
Red Onion /Shallots: 1 no (medium-sized, chopped)
Carrot: 1/4 cup (Grated)
Tomatoes: 1/4 cup (chopped)
Capsicum: 1/4 cup (thinly sliced)
Green chillies:: 2-3 (chopped)
Coriander leaves: few (chopped)
READ ALSO: Easy and traditional Kerala style Modakam
Preparation For Dosa batter:
- Soak the rice, urad dal and fenugreek for 6 hrs.
Grind them to a thick batter along with the cooked rice. (Note: Dosa batter should be fairly thick).
- Let it ferment overnight or cove it and keep in a warm place for about 8-10 hours.
Preparation for Vegetable Uthappam:
- Heat an iron girdle/dosa tawa or pan and spread a tsp of oil over it.
Pour a ladle full of the batter onto the hot pan and spread it (Note: uthappam should not be crispy nor too thick. It should be about 1/2 inch thick).
Drizzle a tsp of oil around the uthappam.
- Sprinkle the chopped veggies and let it cook. This has to be done as soon as the dosa batter is spread and when it is still liquid and not cooked. (Note: That helps the veggies to stick to the batter).
- Cover it and steam cook for 4-5 mins on low heat. When golden brown, turn and cook for another min or two.
- Serve with Coconut Chutney or any chutney of your choice.