This is a simple Kerala breakfast dish that can be made quickly. Try it out.
Kerala Style Vattayapam (Steamed Coconut Rice Cakes)
It is a famous Snack that is eaten among the Kerala Christian Community.
Prep in: 500 minutes
Cooks in: 45 minutes
Total in: 545 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/4 cup Cooked rice
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon Active dry yeast , soaked in luke warm water (2 tablespoon)
- 5 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds , powdered
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 teaspoons Raisins
How to make
- We begin making the Kerala Style Vattayapam Recipe (Steamed Coconut Rice Cakes Recipe) by soaking the broken rice in water for about 8 hours. Then grinding it into a smooth paste along with cumin seeds.
- In a bowl add the rest of the ingredients, including yeast. Mix well and rest for overnight to get a nice fermented batter or else you can rest for 4 hours.
- Heat a steamer, add the batter to a greased tray, pour in the batter and steam it for about 45 minutes till it is done. You can add raisins on the top, half the way while it is steaming.
- In order to check if it is done, the cake should not stick to your hand once you touch it and if you insert a knife it has to come out clean.
- Serve the Kerala Style Vattayappam (Steamed Coconut Rice Cakes) as a healthy breakfast option.