We remain blessed in these days of prayer and penance when we realize that our humble efforts in making this Navarathri have been fruitful and also memorable.
On Navratri’s 7th Day (Maha Saptami), Goddess Kalaratri is worshipped along with Goddess Saraswati. Shardiya Navratri Day 7 falls on Tuesday, 13 October in 2021. Utsava Puja is also performed on this day. Navagraha Puja is also performed on Navratri day 7. Maa Kalaratri is known for destroying ignorance and removing darkness from the universe and is the most ferocious avatar of NavaDurga.
- Date: Sunday, 13 October
- Tithi: Ashwin Sukla Paksha Saptami
- Goddess: Goddess Maa Kalaratri
- Puja: Kalaratri Puja
- Mantra:‘Om Devi Kalaratryai Namah’
- Flower: Krishna Kamal
- Navratri Color: Grey
The seventh day (Maha Saptami) is the major ritual day for the goddess of power. According to mythology, the Goddess defeated Mahisasura after nine days of fighting. On Saptami, the Goddess commenced the war against the buffalo demon and killed him on Dussehra, the 10th day of the month.
Dasta Shumbha-Nishumbha and Raktabeej made a stroke in all three states, according to legend. Concerned about this, all the goddesses went to Shiva Ji. God Shiva asked Parvati to kill and protect the demons. Goddess Parvati, influenced by Lord Shiva, took the form of Durga and slew Shumbha and Nisumbha. However, once Durga killed the bloodbath, her blood released millions of raktabeej. When Durga killed the raktabeej after this, Kalaratri filled his face with blood and slaughtered his blood base after cutting his throat.
Rituals and Puja Vidhi
Bathing Navapatrika: This day, tithi, and timing are considered to be auspicious for worshiping the nine planets. The nine planets, banana, pomegranate, turmeric, ashoke, bel, arum plant, colocasia, and paddy, are tied together and taken to the Ganges at pre-dawn for bathing. The puja starts after that. You must be wondering why the nine plants? Devi Durga created the Ashtanayika, the eight war partners, during the war. ‘NavaDurga’ refers to these eight goddesses and Devi herself. Devi used her forms to fight the demon.
Goddess Saraswati’s rituals: In certain southern parts of India, primarily in Kerala, Goddess Durga is worshipped as Goddess Saraswati on the seventh day of Maha Saptami. Book and musical instruments are placed before her, and she prays for knowledge and insight.
Maha Snan: A ritual such as this will fill your heart with satisfaction. Goddess Durga is reflected in a mirror. The ritualistic bath known as Maha snan is given to this mirror.
Prana Pratishta: This is one of the major rituals celebrated on Saptami. There is a pot with holy water, five mango leaves, and a coconut in front of the deity. The Goddess is invoked through divine chants and hymns.
Shri Kaalaratri Davi Mantra
Om Hreem Shri Kaala Ratri Durgaaye Namaha
Om Devi Kalratryayi Namah
Ekveni Japakarnpoora Nagna Kharaasthita |
Lamboshthi Karnika karni Tailaabhyaktshariirini ||
Vaam Paadollasallohlata Kantakbhushanaa |
Bardhan Moordham Dhwajaa Krishnaa Kalratrirbhayankari ||
Navratri 2021 Day 7 Bhog:
Worship Maa Kalaratri and offer jaggery or ladoos made from jaggery as bhog
Wheat Ladoo With Jaggery
- 1-1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 200 grams Jaggery
- 120 Ml Water
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
How to make Wheat Ladoo
- To prepare the Wheat Ladoo with the Jaggery recipe, dry roast whole wheat flour in a heavy-bottomed pan on low heat until it is fragrant. Make sure you don’t burn the flour while roasting.
- Once the color changes slightly, remove and set aside to cool. In a saucepan, combine water and jaggery, and stir until it dissolves.
- Bring it to a boil. Keep it boiling on medium-high for 5 more minutes, letting it thicken a bit, then turning it off.
- If the syrup is too thick, the laddu will become very hard. Stir in the cardamom powder and remove from heat.
Let the syrup cool so that you can mix it with the flour comfortably. Pour the syrup into the roasted flour and mix by hand.
- Do not knead it, just make sure that the syrup is thoroughly mixed. Then add ghee and knead a bit. Make laddus from this dough by taking about 2 tablespoons of each. Store in an airtight container and enjoy.
- At festivals, serve Wheat Ladoo With Jaggery along with some snacks such as Crispy Sweet Potato and Poha Chivda.